American Airlines Carryon Baggage Guidelines
Carryon Baggage and Checked Luggage Basics
American Airlines carryon baggage provisions include one one carryon bag and one personal item, subject to the following limitations.
|Carryon Bag||Personal Item|
9 in x 14 in x 22 in (23 cm x 36 cm x 56 cm)
|Smaller than your carryon bag, must fit under the seat in front of you|
|Maximum Weight||Not specified, but you need to be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin.|
Your personal item may be any of the following:
- A purse
- A briefcase
- A laptop bag
- Similar items such as a tote
On top of the two aforementioned items, you may also bring the following onboard:
- Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
- A book or newspaper
- A small bag of food to eat on the flight
- An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
- A pillow or blanket
- An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
- A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
- Duty-free items
- Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
- Breast pump
Checked luggage are subject to fees, though some parties may receive complimentary allowance.
Main cabin customers can check up to two (2) bags, while first and business class customers can check up to three (3) bags. Further, the following complimentary allowance applies to select parties:
1st checked bag is complimentary for:
- Eligible AAdvantage® Aviator™ and Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers (on domestic American Airlines operated flights)
- AAdvantage Gold
- oneworld Ruby
- Alaska MVP members
1st and 2nd checked bags are complimentary for:
- AAdvantage Platinum
- oneworld Sapphire members
- Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
1st, 2nd and 3rd checked bags are complimentary for:
- AAdvantage Executive Platinum
- oneworld Emerald
- Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
- Active U.S. military and/or dependents with ID traveling on orders (1st – 5th bags free of charge)
- Active U.S. military with ID on personal travel
|Region||Bag 1||Bag 2||Bag 3||Bag 4+|
|Mexico / Caribbean / Central America||$25||$40||$150||$200|
During busy travel seasons, American Airlines places limitations on checked baggage and boxes on some flights.
Each checked bag is subject to size and weight restrictions. Items beyond these allowances may be subject to additional fees.
|Allowance per bag||All regions||
|Maximum Dimensions (length + width + height)||62 in (158 cm)||62 in (158 cm)|
|Maximum Weight||50 lb (23 kg)||70 lb (32 kg)|
Overweight Baggage Charges
Bags over 100 pounds (45 kg) will not be accepted as checked baggage.
|Region||51 lb – 70 lb (23 kg – 32 kg)||71 lb – 100 lb (32 kg – 45 kg)|
|Mexico / Caribbean / Central and South America||$100||$200|
*For Brasilia, Recife and Salvador, baggage weighing more than 70 pounds (32 kg), baggage which is larger than 62 inches (158 cm), boxes or excess pieces will not be accepted as checked baggage.
^For Australia, baggage weighing more than 70 pounds (32 kg) will not be accepted as checked baggage.
Oversized Baggage Charges
Baggage larger than 126 inches (320 cm) will not be accepted as checked baggage.
|Region||Larger than 62 in (158 cm)|
|Mexico / Caribbean / Central and South America*||$200|
*Please note that there are year-round limitations on baggage when traveling to Bolivia and cities in Brazil.